Thursday, May 17, 2012

Rainbow Library

We had our books up in a closet and I could never get to the books so we always read the same few. When they were down at ground level, they were all over the ground! I decided to bring them down, and start reading  with the kiddos again. I think this will help them want to put the books back and it looks so nice on the eyes! We also made library cards, they got to tell me what pictures they wanted and then I laminated them! Now each boy can check out two books and he has to return those books if he wants to check out new books! It has really created less chaos and given them the chance to really find new books to read!



While I'm on the book thing, I wanted to tell you bedtime has been amazingly different since I've decided it's "bedtime" not "sleeptime". I put the boys in bed after bath and brushing teeth, I read a book, sing a song, say our prayers, and leave them to read their books. They have to stay on their beds, which become boats when I leave the room.. so they can't get off them! I think J has really loved the responsibility of turning off his lamp when it is time for bed. Q gets a little fussy when the lights go off before he wants but that's what the night light is for! Tonight I put them to bed, they were adorable reading their books, had one toy in their hands, and in about 15 minutes later the lights were off! I hope they can make this a long lasting habit, books are so important to me.. I didn't read enough as a child and I just want my kids to enjoy the journey of a book!

No comments: